Friday, March 15, 2013

“It is a Beauteous Evening, Calm and Free”

Another of William Wordsworth's well-known poems is “It is a Beauteous Evening, Calm and Free”. Admittedly, I only ended up reading it because I felt that my paper would need another poem to be talked about. But I'm glad I ended up reading it. Not only did it help wrap my paper together beautifully, I think it's one of my new favorites by Wordsworth. The poem is believed to be about his young daughter Caroline after he meets her for the first time after ten years. It is a fourteen line sonnet with an ABBAACCA rhyme scheme. 

The most striking thing about the poem is the technique with which it is written. The first six lines are written smoothly, with soft words sprinkled throughout. It is rather pleasant and easy to read. After the sixth line, however, the words Wordsworth uses become much harsher. The poem itself becomes choppier almost instantly by the usage of exclamations and sentences ending more quickly. The unexpected turn of the poem is not unlike an abrupt churning up of a storm at sea. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment