Thursday, May 9, 2013

"A Blessing" by James Wright


I really loved this poem when we read it in class. I was actually thrilled (no exaggeration) when it came up again today. Not only because I knew that knowing the poem from beforehand would be a big help, but I'd also forgotten all about it. As much as I hated analyzing poetry, I really loved this poem in particular. Not only does it have wonderful imagery, but it's happy. It's a poem about sweet horses and happy people and just gives off a nice vibe altogether. It's fitting for it to be called "A Blessing". All the rest aside, I think I was drawn to the poem because even though it explicitly says in the first line that is takes place in Minnesota, the first time I read it I somehow missed that and just imagined running cross country when I was younger. Even though I hated running, there was so much team spirit and I loved all of my friends on the team. Nostalgia might also be a big factor, but going to practice and seeing all of the horses around the fields was kind of nice. Reading the poem again today made me want to go back to Carousel and just take a long walk and look at all of the horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment