Thursday, May 9, 2013

ALLIE BROSH IS BACK


And I'm really glad she is. I was starting to get concerned. Actually, I was already concerned. For a while. I just tried not to think about it. And it's really perfect timing for her to be back. I just finished my other blog and had no idea what I was going to write about for my next one - I go to Twitter and someone had retweeted a link to her newest post. It was fate.

It was last summer that I came across her blog Hyperbole and a Half. By the time I found it, it had already been ditched for over a year. I found her blog through her cute, Microsoft paint-like drawings being used as memes on Tumblr. I wanted to know why her person had a yellow shark fin on their head (I found it's supposed to be her ponytail). And upon finding and visiting her blog, I was taken by her clever drawings and stories. Her last post however, before she left her blog, was about her crippling depression. Which was a cause of alarm for many, I'm sure. I, of course, went on to think the worst: sure, it was possible she just didn't have the energy to run the blog anymore (the posts are really intricate with all of the drawings). There are plenty of reasons she could've left. I just like to worry, I guess.

Her last newest post (right before the depression one) was about how she was getting a BOOK. PUBLISHED. A flesh and blood, paper and binding book of her drawings and hilarity that I'd pored through and fallen in love with upon discovering her blog. I was so excited. I went to Barnes and Noble.com immediately then to see if I could buy it yet - and there was nothing. Her work seemed like something that might be at Urban Outfitters too, so I went to that website. Nothing. And disappointment. I started to think she might not write the book since she wasn't updating the blog anymore. I checked the blog for updates for quite some time, and it was always the same.

Now I realize that maybe she left the blog for a while because she was busy writing the book (which was supposed to be released Fall 2012). Maybe she left because she really was too depressed (which seems to be the case). Either way, she left because she needed to. And what matters now is that SHE'S BACK! Also that HER BOOK IS ON PRE-ORDER! And I'm totally getting it. And I guess the point of this post is that you should totally check out her blog and maybe get it too.

1 comment:

  1. I was so pleased to see her back too! and the posts about her depression will enlighten many to the reality of depression. She possesses a sharp intellect, which seems to work in her writing as well as it does in her comics.

    ReplyDelete